Call us on +44 (0)1302 775 900 or email

Construction Health and Safety Training


National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) are the most widely recognised qualifications in the construction industry and they are to the standard that all workers must achieve. These vocational qualifications form the basis of card holder schemes such as the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card. These cards are becoming a necessity for getting work.


NVQ’s enable experienced workers to convert their existing skills into an NVQ certificate by assessing their work on-site and building up a portfolio of evidence to support them.

It’s done at your work, while you work, with a minimum of inconvenience for you or your employer. Generally you can gain your qualification within 3-6 months.

As it’s delivered on-site, we come to you, wherever in the country you work. MECsafe offer NVQs in the following:-

Level 2
- Construction Operations
- Decorative Finishing and Painting
- Formwork
- Interior Systems (Dry Lining Fixing)
- Cranes & Specialist Lifting
- Forklift Trucks
- Plastering (Solid)
- Steelfixing Occupations
- Trowel Occupations (Bricklaying)
- Wood Occupations (Site Carpentry)

Level 3
- Decorative Finishing and Painting
- Occupational Work Supervision
- Plastering (Solid)

Level 4
- Site Supervision

Level 6
- Construction Contracting Ops
- Site Management

Level 7
- Construction Senior Management

CSCS Cards

Most contractors and construction clients insist that workers on their sites hold the appropriate CSCS card for the work they undertake. To hold a CSCS card, you must have passed an independent health, safety and environment test. If you are a skilled worker, you will also need a recent NVQ qualification to enable you to receive a card. For example, generally, a NVQ level 2 will entitle you to a 5 year blue skilled workers’ card and a NVQ level 3 will entitle you to a 5 year gold advanced craft or supervisors’ card.

Note that since summer 2014, labourers need to complete a new training qualification and pass the health, safety and environment test to gain a CSCS green card. Workers should also note that green cards are no longer acceptable on certain sites for skilled work. So, for example, if you’re a site carpenter, your card needs to be a blue skilled workers’ card, that states you have an NVQ in site carpentry; otherwise, you could be denied access to site for that type of work.


CITB grants are available for employers to get generous financial support for our NVQ's.

If you are registered with CITB, contact your local customer development advisor for further information or click here for further information.

If you are a small or micro employer and are not registered with the CITB (Construction Industry Training Board) you are advised to look at joining them. For companies with a total payroll of under £80,000 per annum, you will pay NO levy, but may still be entitled to full training grants. Information can be found on the CITB website.


Contact MECsafe today to discuss your NVQ and CSCS Card requirements.

01302 775900 or


Find Courses

Search Courses

Health and Safety Consultancy

MECsafe are a leading Construction Health and Safety Consultancy, providing a range of services across to the Industry.

Our range of Services Include: - CDM 2015 Project Services Construction Phase Plans and Principal Designer Support Competent Person Advisory Service Health and Safety Policies Fire Risk Assessments Assistance with Contractor Accreditations e.g. CHAS, SAFEcontractor.

To speak to one of our Advisors please phone 01302 775900 or Click the link below to send an Enquiry.

View MECsafe Website
Reviews of Training Solutions Direct on the FreeIndex Health and Safety Training
Providers Directory